Projects & Community Service Opportunities
We are an active and busy club. Below are a few of our projects and opportunities to lend a hand.
Hands On: Plants, Greens, Flowers
- We accept donations of potted and labeled perennial and annual plants for our annual plant sale. Volunteers are needed in May and June to help dig, identify, and pot plants offered by our Scarborough neighbors. Volunteers are also needed day of the sale to advise shoppers on their plant selections.
- During our regular monthly club meetings, we make flower arrangements for residents of the Pine Point Nursing Home, Meals on Wheels recipients, and others around town.
- The historic Hunnewell House at the corner of Winnocks Neck Road and Black Point Road, is Scarborough's oldest building. The club takes care of its grounds and gardens. Volunteers are needed year round to plant, weed, and prune. Check our calendar for the next work day, grab your gloves and tools, and join us!
- Club members maintain the "Garden of Hope" at Maine Medical Center's Scarborough Campus.
- In September we make seasonal floral arrangements for the Scarborough Land Trust's annual "Fresh from the Farm" dinner at Broadturn Farm.
- We make flower arrangements for Thanksgiving Scarborough on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. Volunteers are needed to collect and wash the vases, buy flowers and collect greens and seasonal plant materials, and meet up to assemble the table arrangements. Volunteers are also needed to deliver the arrangements to Wentworth Cafe.
- Each year during the Christmas holiday season we make wreaths for the Scarborough Public Library, Town Hall, Hunnewell House, and other locations around town.
Scholarships, Community Service, & Philanthropy
Thanks to proceeds from our Annual Plant Sale and membership dues, we are able to fund club activities, community service and special projects, and also give to:
- Friends of Scarborough Marsh
- Garden of Hope at Maine Medical Center
- Global Partners/Running Water Fund (Haiti)
- Habitat for Humanity
- Hunnewell House
- Morrison Center, Scarborough
- Pine Point Center Nursing Home
- Project GRACE
- Scarborough Community Garden
- Scarborough Land Trust
- Scarborough Public Library
- SMCC Horticulture Program Scholarship Fund
- Thanksgiving Scarborough
- University of Maine 4H Camp at Bryant Pond Scholarship Fund
Sharing Our Knowledge
We share our gardening knowledge at special events around town like our club's Annual Plant Sale (June), ACE Hardware's Garden Party (April), St. Nick's Harvest Fest (October), Maine Master Gardener's Annual Flower Show, school gardening projects, etc.